Hi,

I have a Kraft cluster running Kafka 3.5 and using the metadata.version 3.5
as well:

$ bin/kafka-features.sh --bootstrap-server localhost:9092 describe
Feature: metadata.version       SupportedMinVersion: 3.0-IV1
 SupportedMaxVersion: 3.5-IV2    FinalizedVersionLevel: 3.5-IV2  Epoch: 140

The upgrade docs <https://kafka.apache.org/documentation/#upgrade_350_kraft>
suggest that I should be able to downgrade the metadata version as long as
it is not to 3.0-3.2 versions. However, whatever version I try to downgrade
it to and whether it is safe or unsafe downgrade, it always seems to fail:

$ ./bin/kafka-features.sh --bootstrap-server localhost:9092 downgrade
--metadata 3.4
Could not downgrade metadata.version to 8. Invalid metadata.version 8.
Refusing to perform the requested downgrade because it might delete
metadata information. Retry using UNSAFE_DOWNGRADE if you want to force the
downgrade to proceed.
1 out of 1 operation(s) failed.
$ ./bin/kafka-features.sh --bootstrap-server localhost:9092 downgrade
--metadata 3.4 --unsafe
Could not downgrade metadata.version to 8. Invalid metadata.version 8.
Unsafe metadata downgrade is not supported in this version.
1 out of 1 operation(s) failed.

And it does not really matter whether I try to downgrade to 3.4, 3.4-IV0,
3.5-IV1. In the logs, I see the following INFO message while running the
downgrade command:

2023-10-01 20:59:59,910 INFO Unable to get feature level information for
controller(s): 4, 5 (org.apache.kafka.controller.QuorumFeatures)
[quorum-controller-3-event-handler]

Not sure if that is related. The cluster seems to work fine apart from the
metadata downgrade. (The cluster I was trying it on has 3 controllers with
node IDs 3, 4, and 5)

Anyone has an idea what I'm doing wrong? Or is this something that is not
supported? Or some bug?

Thanks & Regards
Jakub