In the end you create a new consumer group. That's totally fine.

The old consumer group will still "exist", ie, the committed offsets for the group are still there, until they will be eventually purged by the brokers (I think the default is 7 days to keep the metadata of consumer groups, after a group becomes empty/stale).

It's configurable how long to keep it -- in general, it's desirable to keep it for some time, as an app could be offline for a while but come back online later and resume where it left off.

HTH

-Matthias