Hi Harry,

Thanks for your question!

There were negative lag/data loss bugs fixed some time back [1, 2] so check
what version of the MirrorMaker connectors you're using. I would recommend
using the latest version of MM2 (3.8.0) if possible.

After upgrading you will need to clear the checkpoints topic and target
consumer offsets to allow MM2 to translate the offsets again, as MM2 will
not rewind the target consumer group in situations like this.

Thanks, and hope this helps!
Greg

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-12635
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-12468