Did you try the emi2 driver of the development option ? It is better than
emi_ip driver and I am sure, that one use UCP-60 paquets for
authentification before sending UCP-51 paquets for sending SMS.

If you want some help, you should specify which version of Kannel you use,
the configuration contents and the action done.
I can also suggest you to read EMI specification
(http://www.cmgtele.com/docs/SMSC_EMI_specification_3.5.pdf).

  • UCP Tim Hammonds
    • Gildas PERROT