<snip>
> CC=/usr/bin/gcc ./configure --prefix=/etc/rc.d/init.d --exec-prefix=
> /etc/rc.d/init.d --enable-docs --with-malloc=check --enable-ssl
> --with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql --enable-mysql --enable-start-daemon

Why oh why would you want to install Kannel under /etc/rc.d/init.d ?!?!?!
sysV init scripts go there.

> I had already made sure that mysql was running in the background. The
> configure script ran successfully.

You don't need to have mySQL running when you configure and build kannel. you just
need to have the developemnt libraries for mySQL lying around somewhere the configure
script can get at them. on my development machine I don't even have mySQL installed.

> I then ran make check, which I believe does (apart from other things)
> a check on all the scripts in the checks directory under the Kannel
> root- scripts such as

I don't know why you did that. I never use make check. I just compile it.

> I then ran make install to install Kannel under the /etc/rc.d/init.d

Again - Why ??

> directory and a folder "kannel" was created under the same.
> This is the
> organization of the /etc/rc.d/init.d/kannel directory
<snip>

Assuming that you are aware that using --prefix=<dir> causes the build process to
install all Kannel files under <dir>, this makes perfect sense.

> DOES the failiure of check_compiler.sh and the hanging of
> the "make check" command at the check_smpp.sh stage indicate
> an error in the installation of Kannel?

Not AFAIK.

please use --prefix=/usr/local or maybe /usr and don't install kannel under the init
scripts directory.

--
Oded Arbel
m-Wise mobile solutions

+972-9-9581711 (116)
+972-67-340014

::..
learning curve, n.:
        An astonishing new theory, discovered by management consultants
        in the 1970's, asserting that the more you do something the
        quicker you can do it.