> Bill,
>

> The purposes of this MMSC would
> be the receiving of textual messages and
> the sending of textual messages with maybe optionally
> graphic
> information (jpeg).
>
> Our current service uses simple SMS messages but runs
> into the 160 character limit. We also have a plans on
> putting in map
> with driving
> directions etc which is not possible with standard "text"
> SMS.

MMS also supports lots of other formats (sound and videos). But I think
the main difference is the technical aproach which uses WAP features in
contrary to SMS. In this way an MMSC acts as a webserver where you can
POST messages and also GET messages (which are encoded files with jpgs,
txt ans whatever). The SMSC is involved when a recipients mobile is
being informed about a new MMS waiting for him at the MMSC (which
usually results in a automagical GET request).

cheers johannes.