Kannel tries to make your life easy by providing the simplest possible
interface to send SMS. HTTP-GET, HTTP-POST, HTTP-POST-XML.

HOW? by hiding the CIMD2/SMPP/xyz client details within itself.

You can bypass the kannel layer to send SMSes by writing the client with in
your application but that needs the knowledge of the SMSC protocol, CIMD2 in
your case. There nust be some API available on NOkia website for that.

HTH
Navjot