I installed a kannel (snapshot version) in a cygwin environment. I'm using an Ericsson T68i with an AT&T SIM.
When I receive SMS messages with UDH, it seems that the UDH is not in X-Kannel-UDH, but is rather prepended to the message itself.
When sending SMS messages with UDH through the kannel, I receive weird character before the actual message (which suggests that the UDH is prepended here as well).
The messages are sent to / received from a different network (from outside the US).

Anyone has any insight on this?

Yes. I've experienced problems trying to send any SMSs containing UDH into the US. I'm not
sure if the network is AT&T, I'll check. The symptoms are exactly as you describe.

Best guess is that the interop node is broken somewhere, somehow.