YES, if you forget your SMPP for a while.

You send a SMS from A to B.
B replies to A.

A is the number configured for your GSM modem.

You can configure sms-service in your kannel conf and set a catch-all
option. that will enable to receive your application all the reply sms (for
that matter any). This trigger will be in HTTP format.

Now, if you listne only SMPP. You can a write a program that listens HTTP
and speaks SMPP so that you listen SMPP.

HTH
Navjot Singh