On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 08:46:36AM +0330, Mostafa Hadian wrote:

>    Hi All I suggest that kannel technical team test and release a list
>    of modems and SMSCs which compatible with kannel, (not just brands)or
>    kannel users send their list and any special config parameters to
>    kannel mailing-list.  Mavecom Fastrack M1206:   speed=115200
>    init-string="AT+CMGF=0"   AT2 mode. Regards- Mostafa

Thanks Mostafa and good idea!

I agree all kannel users should submit their successful config.
In kannel src there is doc/examples/modems.conf
Would this be a good place to keep that information?
 Having to submit changes as a patch may be difficult for
  many users actually but if the config is posted to the list
  others of us e.g. me maybe and others that are inclined
 could make the patch.

So is this a good idea or would that overload that modems.conf file too much?
I think it would be good.

group = modems
id = WavecomFastrackM1206
name = "Wavecom Fastrack M1206"
# use with smsc = at2
#Mostafa? could you see what a good detect string might be?
#I think in response to ATI command?
#detect-string = "Wavecom Fastrack"
#detect-string2 = "M1206"
speed = 115200
init-string="AT+CMGF=0"
# Mostafa Hadian Sep 21 2004

It would also be nice if we could link to that file from the
 kannel.org compatibility web page.
http://www.kannel.org/compatibility.shtml#NokiaPremicell
e.g. link to here:
 http://www.kannel.org/cgi-bin/lxr/source/gateway/doc/examples/modems.conf

The userguide refers to modems.conf and lists the modems there.
http://www.kannel.org/download/1.2.1/userguide-1.2.1/userguide.html#AEN848
SMS gateway configuration; SMS centers; GSM modem
As it lists the modems we should keep that up to date too.

There are other lists of linux compatible modems on the web ....
http://www.physiol.usyd.edu.au/daved/linux/gsm-modem.html
 GSM Mobile Phones and Linux

Anyway.

Thoughts.