**>From: "J. Kizito" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
**>To: users@kannel.org
**>Subject: Setting DCS field
**>Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 14:25:33 +0100
**>
**>Hi list,
**>I am using kannel 1.3.1 and having problems setting the DCS (Data Coding
**>Scheme) field when sending the message from kannel to the SMS-C. My provider
**>requires me to use DCS=0xF5. I see a number of parameters like mclass,
coding
**>and mwi that all set certain bits of the DCS field but I have no idea on
what
**>values they should take on (if I am supposed to use them) in order for me to
**>achieve my goal. Does anyone have an idea on this?

Hope I remember this right...
DCS = 0xF5 means the following:
  1111 0101
  ^^^^ ^^^^
  |||| ||||
  ++++-------- Contains only data coding and message class info

Therefore, I think you need to set the following when sending an SMS to
your v1.3.1 Kannel:
  alt-dcs=1
  coding=2
  mclass=2