Yes, it's a very popular issue! That could cause problems specially on
heavy loaded systems, where the probability of many messages being
queued on the same "ts" second increases. That seems to be a design
flaw not really tied to MySQL nor any other relational database. It
does not have nothing to do with 3.x or 4.x MySQL versions... It will
ruin your DLRs whether you are using 3.x or 4.x.

Does MySQL 4.x have a magical solution for the DLR's problem? I don't
think so! Apart from many (many!) optimizations and improvements (ie,
the query cache), and a richer language, IMHO it's not the holy grial
that'll solve the DLR problem.

You don't need transactions or nested queries. What's needed is a
non-ambiguous and unique parameter to be used as primary key for the
DLR table. Some sort of unique "message_id", at least capable of
non-repeating (and retrievable) numbers given any given second (that
would suffice if used along with the existing "ts").
Given that, any regular relational database could handle many DLR's on
the same second using just plain INSERT, DELETE and UPDATE queries.

Regards,

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 00:36:31 +0100, Linkas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Alejandro Guerrieri wrote:
>
> >Who told you that you cannot use MySQL 3.x with 1.4 ??
> >
> >We are using Kannel 1.4.x with MySQL 3.23.58 and everything works
> >fine. It compiled at the first try. We are using CentOS 3.3 (A RHEL
> >Clone) with plain vanilla RPMS for MySQL and, as long as you have
> >mysql and mysql-devel RPMs installed, it finds it and compile "right
> >out of the box" :)
> >
> >Regarding functions, MySQL is only used for DLR handling, so usually
> >that involves plain vanilla "INSERT, DELETE and UPDATE" statements on
> >a single table, I don't think you'd need any esoteric SQL functions to
> >do that...
> >
> >Regards,
> >

> Haven't you noticed that DLR are INSERTed and UPDATEd on timestamp and
> that multiple SMS in the same timestamp give problems with DLR ?
>
> Check: bugs.kannel.org Number 193

Alejandro Guerrieri
Magicom
http://www.magicom-bcn.net/