Hey Ben,

Ben Minton wrote:
> Gareth Reakes wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>Ben Minton wrote:
>>

>>>Hi All,
>>>
>>>I am new to Kannel and actually trying to understand the physical layout
>>>of the setup.
>>>
>>>Can someone please explain in non-technical terms, the physical setup of
>>>a Kannel Gateway & service? Do I need to connect to a service provider?
>>

>>For SMS you need to have way of sending them. You could get a GSM
>>modem or connect to a provider.
>>

>>>Can I provide content for friends and family to their WAP-enabled
>>>devices?
>>

>>Yes you can, although you don't need kannel for this. You can put wml
>>pages on your web server (as long as its configured properly, which it
>>probably will be by default) and let your friends go to that page just
>>like a html page.
>>

>>Cheers,
>>
>>Gareth

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for the info ... just to clarify, I can obtain a GSM modem,
connect it to my gnu/linux box, insert a valid Australian mini-SIM card
and use that system as a 'mobile phone' for send/receive SMS and as a
Kannel Server?

Yes you can. You might well find it cheaper to use a provider to do this for you.

BTW, it is really cool to see that you are so heavily involved with the
Apache Project ... excellent piece of FOSS.

Thanks. Anyone who wants to come and contribute to the xerces project please do :) I think its about time apache had some mobile based projects, so anyone with any ideas please give me a shout.

Gareth

--
Gareth Reakes, Managing Director      Parthenon Computing
+44-1865-811184                  http://www.parthcomp.com