I wanted to followup on my initial post.  Surprise, surprise a search revealed an old post from Davy Chan that contained the answer to my question.  I want to thank Mr. Chan for sharing his considerable knowledge on these matters in a public forum so others can benefit from the hard work and time he has clearly put in.

I can now respond to incoming SMS messages.  My problem was rather simple, I changed my GSM modem/group settings to the following (adding the config: broken=true).  This works with my T637 phone, perhaps it will help someone else down the road.  Cheers.

# SMSC GSM
group = smsc
smsc = at
modemtype = T630-T628
device = /dev/tty.T637-SerialPort1-1
speed = 9600
sim-buffering = true

group = modems
id = T630-T628
name = “T630-T628″
broken = true
init-string = “AT+CNMI=2,3,2,0,0;+CMGF=0″
keepalive-cmd = “AT+CBC;+CSQ;+CMGF=0″