From: Stipe Tolj [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2006 9:07 PM
To: nauman
Cc: users@kannel.org
Subject: Re: kannel n ss7

nauman wrote:

> Hi,
> How can kannel can send /receive sms to / from mobile station?
> I mean mobile station sends data to operator’s network on SS7 link.
> Can it be integrated with SS7 networks?

No... the SS7 layer is beneith the layers Kannel has access to. The
device
signals via SS7 layer towards the SMSC of the carrier. The SMSC moves
the
message the layer "up" to SMPP or EMI/UCP or any other IP based
protocol, where
Kannel comes in touch.

There have been "ideas" in merging OpenSS7 and Kannel into a generic
open source
SMSC. As far as I know, there are some real world implementations that
let
special Kannel versions grep into the scope of SS7 layer, but those are
not open
to the public. They are developed and used by companies that move huge
ammount
of messages.

Stipe

Kölner Landstrasse 419
40589 Düsseldorf, NRW, Germany

tolj.org system architecture      Kannel Software Foundation (KSF)
http://www.tolj.org/              http://www.kannel.org/

mailto:st_{at}_tolj.org           mailto:stolj_{at}_kannel.org