Hi Lars,

You might wanna try to reset your modem before anything
in your init-string, something like "ATZ+CNMI..." or "ATZAT+CNMI"
I am not sure.

I never tried to use kannel that way, but at least when I was
using laptop dialup with mobile phones in either GSM, HSCD or GPRS
I always had to use ATZ in the init string to make it work.

HTH
Stephane

--
Stephane Rosa
Security Officer & Network Engineer, EMEA

Stryker EMEA
Grand Rue 92
CH-1820 Montreux
http://www.europe.stryker.com

Lars-Hendrik Schneider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

20-02-2006 13:37

Kannel <users@kannel.org>
cc
Subject
Re: Siemens MC35i: send command status: -1

Hi Paul,

Lars-Hendrik Schneider schrieb:
> Hi Paul
>
> Paul Keogh schrieb:
>

>>> #######snip#
>>> group = modems
>>> id = siemens_mc35
>>> name = "Siemens MC35"
>>> detect-string = "SIEMENS"
>>> detect-string2 = "MC35"
>>> init-string = "AT+CNMI=1,2,0,0,1"
>>> speed = 57600
>>> enable-hwhs = "AT\\Q3"
>>> need-sleep = true                 # uncomment this line if needed
>>> #######/snip#
>>

>> I would always add the
>>
>> alt-dcs=1
>>
>> Parameter to the SMSC group definition when using a Siemens modem.
>>
>> Its worth a try.
>>

> thanks, I will try it soon and publish the result here. AFAIR this
> problem was mentioned in the mailing list several times without a
> solution, so that every helpor hint is appreciated.
>
> Greetz from Bonn,
> Lars-Hendrik

well, it seems as this did not solve my problem, but it (currently)
seems as if the modems are now running. I changed my modems.conf a
little bit following this posting:

http://www.mail-archive.com/users@kannel.3glab.org/msg01308.html

saying:

#######snip#
After trying kannel at 6 different machines, I've found out that kannel is
quite messy with initializing a serial port.
[modem TC-35 Siemens].
Under Solaris this is quite a tricky to achieve, and under linux it is
little
bit easier (minicom trick).
Another strange thing is that 1.1.6 is not working with "at2" smsc, but
with
old "at" it is working....
If I use old "at" under Solaris, then it works, but receiving messages
is not
possible.
I think this is problem with init strings...
For TC-35 it needs to be first:
AT+CSMS=1 , and then this one will work...
AT+CNMI=3,2,0,0,1
otherwise I get error with AT+CNMI command, since without CSMS=1 , TC-35
does
not accept anthying else than AT+CNMI=1,2,0,0,1 (not 100%, this is from
head).
Anyway, after making kannel "work" after couple of inits and shutdowns,
problem with initializing is occuring again after rebooting machine...
Does anybody know solution for this?
I've tried even setting up a port with "stty", but this is still not 100%
reliable.
#######/snip#

This is what my kannel.conf NOW looks alike (running with kannel 1.4.0):

#######snip#
group = smsc
smsc = at
smsc-id = GSM1
modemtype = siemens_mc35
device = /dev/gsm1
pin = 9797
sms-center = +491760000443
alt-dcs=1

group = modems
id = siemens_mc35
name = "Siemens MC35"
detect-string = "SIEMENS"
detect-string2 = "MC35"
init-string = "AT+CNMI=1,2,0,0,1"
init-string = "AT+CSMS=1"
speed = 57600
enable-hwhs = "AT\\Q3"
need-sleep = true                 # uncomment this line if needed

Due to kannel 1.4.0 this uses "smsc = at" which is the same as "at2" in
former versions.
Note this: init-string = "AT+CSMS=1" <-- I added this and it seems to
work now (I hope it will go on like this. Therefore I will try to send a
huge number of SMS using http-requests this afternoon and spamming my
collegues...). if it fails again, I will answer here again... (hope I
don't have to, puh).

Greetings,
Lars-Hendrik