Ucp 31 is generally used to maintain an ucp session over the smsc.
Most of operators don't allow the use of this (they said that this overload the
smsc)
When an UCP 31 is sent from your gateway, the smsc need to ACK your request, to
maintain the session
If it's not acked/nack during the time you specified, then your connection will
be closed then
you will be in reconnect-mode. (for safety reason)
The smsc can respond either with ack or nack. In both cases it will maintain
the ucp session and no
disconnect will happens.

Please just ask your operator if they allow ucp 31, if not, you need to
"google-search" for using
TCP_KEEP_ALIVE  in order to have the same effect but not in UCP layer :-)

regards

Vincent

--
Telemaque - NICE - (FR)