hi, have you ever used cu before? the first thing to check is what device is the correct one to use. for example, on freebsd when i plugin a usb gsm modem, it first comes up with device ugen0. this is not the correct device however. i have to type:

kldload uplcom

or have this module compiled into the kernel in order to use this device. when i have this setup, then the device shows up as ucom0 when i plug it into the usb. i can then type:

cu -s 115200 -l /dev/cuaU0

this connects me to the modem directly. i can then type:

at

and hit enter, and i see OK. then i can type:

atdMY_NUMBER

where MY_NUMBER is my phone number, and my phone rings. if i type:

ati0

it tells me what modem type it is. this is how i discovered that it is a WAVECOM modem, so i followed the instructions for a WAVECOM modem found on the kannel home page. don't also forget to 'include' modems.conf in your smskannel.conf file

cheers

iain