Thanks for the email, I know Kannel can split it but I wanted to take
care of it in PHP to allow proper billing, logging etc.

hi alex, earlier i got this info from ben suffolk:

"The UDH for a concat message takes 6 bytes leaving 134 bytes to contain the message, which means you can pack 153 7 bit
characters in.

If you using 16 bit characters (UCS-2 encoding) you can get 67 characters in (which you might also need to know for your
billing system)."

so if your message is > 160 chars then ceil($chars/153); to get the total number of messages.

cheers

iain