Michael Habashy wrote:

On 8/10/07, *Essien Ita Essien* <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:

    Michael Habashy wrote:
     > Has anyone gotten a cingular 8125 wireless cellphone to work with
    Kannel?

     > If so, can you provide an easy config for me to follow?
     >
     > If you got another Att cellphone to work with Kannel to send and
    recieve
     > sms text messeges -
     > that would be great as well.
     >
     > I am having a hard time having it open devices: usbdev2.5_ep00
     > usbdev2.5_ep03  usbdev2.5_ep81  usbdev2.5_ep82

    i've not worked with the Cingular phones or AT&T, but i've used a GSM
    modem over USB to connect to Kannel. I'm using ArchLinux and I had to
    first modprobe the Serial over USB kernel driver. Its called 'ftdi_sio'

    # modprobe ftdi_sio

    Should do the trick and you should get /dev/ttyUSB0, etc, assuming that
    its a serial over USB protocol that will be used by the phone.

    Cheers,
    Essien

     > it has been a long struggle.
     > thanks
     > mjh

i got this returned in dmesg file....

usbcore: registered new driver usbserial
drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for generic
usbcore: registered new driver usbserial_generic
drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial Driver core
drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for FTDI USB Serial Device
usbcore: registered new driver ftdi_sio
drivers/usb/serial/ftdi_sio.c: v1.4.3:USB FTDI Serial Converters Driver
usb 1-8: USB disconnect, address 5
usb 1-8: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 6
first... i load the driver 'modprobe ftdi_sio'
then i connect my usb gsm modem. And i get:

usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
ftdi_sio 1-1:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
drivers/usb/serial/ftdi_sio.c: Detected FT8U232AM
usb 1-1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0

kernel 2.6.22 on ArchLinux.

It looks like it loaded fine...
rider:~# lsmod |grep usb
usbserial              39152  1 ftdi_sio
hci_usb                22812  2
bluetooth              61572  7 rfcomm,l2cap,hci_usb
usb_storage            87616  1
scsi_mod              153008  3 sd_mod,libata,usb_storage
ide_core 147584 5 ide_generic,ide_cd,usb_storage,generic,amd74xx But nothing has shown up under the /dev/ directory...driving me nuts....!!!!!!!!
Should it say what it is ?? where would it say it???

weird. unless its not a serial over usb device then. But which distro are you using?

cheers,
Essien
thanks
mjh