So you're suggesting simply have kannel forward everything to some other service:

group = sms-service
keyword = default
get-url = http://localhost:55555/gotsms?text=%a&from=%p

This design makes sense of course (and will likely be the way I go). However, I'm still not sure why kannel's regexp's are implemented the way they are. Is it simply that no one is using the regexp feature and they're just parsing the smses in their own software?