>From the Kannel guide, take a look in this 2 parameters  :

sim-buffering

boolean

Whether to enable the so-called "SIM buffering behavior" of the GSM module.
if assigned a true value, the module will query the message storage memory
of the modem and will process and delete any messages found there. this does
not alter normal behavior, but only add the capability of reading messages
that were stored in the memory for some reason. The type of memory to use
can be selected using the 'message-storage' parameter of the modem
configuration. Polling the memory is done at the same interval as keepalive
(if set) or 60 seconds (if not set). NOTE: This behavior is known to cause
minor or major hiccups for a few buggy modems. Modems known to work with
this setting are Wavecom WM02/M1200 and the Siemens M20.

message-storage

string

Message storage memory type to enable for "SIM buffering". Possible values
are: "SM" - SIM card memory or "ME" - Mobile equipment memory (may not be
supported by your modem). check your modem's manual for more types. By
default, if the option is not set, no message storage command will be sent
to the modem and the modem's default message storage will be used (usually
"SM").

Hope I help

  _____