I don't know how kannel is handling this. I'm just using kannel as a
"dumb" SMPP and UCP gateway. I know that on these two protocols the
smsc of the receiver stores the message till delivery. I have no idea
how this done by kannel for http and modems. But that can someone else
here surely tell you.

Cheers