I'm brand new to this list but am very interested in this project.  I
have two questions if anyone would be so kind as to give me guidance:

1. If building a SMS gateway from scratch, can you recommend GSM
hardware?  Preferably not the phone on a cable option.  I'm looking to
build a highly reliable production SMS gateway.
2. Can anyone give me guidance (documents, resources etc) on how format
an SMS message for Message Waiting Indication?  In other words, I'm
looking to raise and lower the message waiting indicator on a mobile
phone.

Much obliged!
-Karl