Hi,

A company I work for provides System Support Services. We are looking
to SMS-enable some systems we support. Having played around with
Kannel before, I think we may be able to use it for this purpose. The
set-up I foresee is a dedicated server running Kannel, and a number of
front end applications (mostly web based) and scripts communicating
with the gateway.  To begin with, we will be sending strictly MT
messages (one way). Our monthly volume estimates are 50,000 messages
in the first year.

I have a number of questions especially for people who have used
Kannel in production.

1. I want a general feel of the hardware requirements that would work
for our scenario. I was thinking we start with a leased dedicated
server, with 2 NIC cards, one for communication with the SMS service
provider via SMPP and one for our apps (HTTP).  We have internal
Ubuntu expertise so we will most likely run Kannel on a Ubuntu server.

2. Bandwidth requirements: If we are to lease a server, or opt for
co-location, how much bandwidth should we pay for from the co-location
service provider? We intend to enable DLR feature. I believe the
traffic would be only SMPP messages including DLR and HTTP requests
and responses.

3. What are your experiences with Bulk SMS service providers? We plan
to go the operator route in the future but it appears our volumes may
not be big enough to get  direct connections to their SMSCs. Which
provider are you using and how would you rate their service?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Kind Regards,

Engel Linus