Hi,

Please see inlined answers. For all answers check relevant info in the latest userguide.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jason Higbee" <ja...@covalentglobal.org>
To: <users@kannel.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2009 6:43 PM
Subject: setup Kannel Mac OSX 10.4, Samba 75 Modem, daemon + parachute

Users,

I'm planning a project so I am looking for advice and corrections on what I think Kannel can do.

I have:

Mac OS X 10.4.11
Samba 75 (Siemens MC75) USB modem with the modem scripts
- it can connect with another SMSC program on port ../tty.usbmodem1B11 or ../cu.usbmodem1B11 (not sure the difference but both seem to work) I have compiled Kannel 1.4.2 on my Mac but haven't properly configured and used it as a SMSC to send and receive messages. I plan on recompling with Kannel 1.4.3 as the bug report suggests.
I also have php scripts setup to receive the HTTP GET requests.

There seems to be a confusion here. I presume you refer to DLRs (SMS delivery confirmations). Otherwise kannel doesn't have php builtin and can only use php to send HTTP requests (Push) .

Here's what I  need Kannel to do:
(1) forward the received messages through a HTTP GET across the internet;

Yes, through sms-service.

(2) to run as a Mac daemon so I can sleep the computer and it will still run.

Mac is Unix. I imagine that anything running unattented will also run in sleep mode. This is feature in Unix systems for the past 30 years (daemons).

(3) to tell me the signal strength of the modem (i.e. how many 'bars' so I know I'm not in a deadzone);

Dunno. Maybe someone else can help. But this is not strictly a kannel issue. If the modem gets garbled messages, kannel cannot help (GIGO).

(4) automatically restart itself if it loses connection to modem (I believe this is called parachute mode);

No. It will restart only if process panics. But not to worry. It has a queue. If it looses connection to an SMSc, this SMSc is marked inactive. Other SMSc connections can pickup the traffic. In addition, kannel will try to reconnect to the inactive SMSc, according parameters set in the configuration.

(5) and store messages received locally in a database (I believe this done through an addon called sqlbox; I use MAMP for a local instance of MySQL but would use anything that would work with this system).

I don't know MAMP, but yes, you can do that with sqlbox. Other embedded choices are controlled through "store-type" paramater in core configuration and are "file" or "spool" (directory).

So I am hoping Kannel can hit a home run and do all that! Please correct me if I'm wrong and point me in the right direction on these 5 things to create this Kannel system.

Thanks.

Best of luck,
Nikos