  From: Latitude Berlin
  To: Nikos Balkanas
  Cc: us...@vm1.kannel.org
  Sent: Friday, August 14, 2009 12:14 PM
  Subject: Re: invalid charset returned by sms-service

  From where kannel gets the charset which it sends in the get-url

  group = sms-service
  get-url = http:// ... &text=%a&charset=%C

  If euro symbol is from windows-1252 charset, then it should send this one and
not iso*.

  Regards.

  If euro symbol is from windows-1252 charset, then it should send thi

  2009/8/13 Nikos Balkanas <nbalka...@gmail.com>

    Hi,

    Are you sending the sms from a windows machine? Then you are sending
windows-1252 charset, which is a superset of iso-8859-1. It defines
additionally the range 0x80 - 0x9F, and guess what, the Euro symbol is 0x80,
which is not defined in iso-8859-1. The best way to get Euro symbols is with
utf-8 (your sms space is reduced, though).

    Poor kannel is trying to do its best with an undefined symbol. If you want
to save sms space try working with windows-1252.

    By the way 0xFFFF80 is an integer. The byte is the LSB, 0x80.

    BR,
    Nikos