Thanks so much for clarifying that, Nikos.
I've been thinking that it is something to do with my
kannel configuration all along.
After your response, I looked at the configuration of the smpp
simulator.
For the benefit of anyone else interested, it turned out to be
owing to the configuration of the simulator.
The simulator (from selenium software, SmppSim) was configured
such that every message it received was getting delivered
right back.

Regards,
Sindu