exactly Nikos,

but as soon as you have sat coding=1 the whole sms is 8bit binary anyways, so alt-dcs shouldn't be needed, isn't that correctly understood?

Arnar

On 06/09/2010 07:07 AM, Nikos Balkanas wrote:
Hi,

Just a correction to avoid confusion.

What you are describing is coding: 0 for 7bit, 1 for 8-bit, 2 for unicode.

alt-dcs is binary and determines the whole sms data encoding either as 00x or FFx. It affects a whole range of settings such as coding, mwi, mclass, but not bits per se.

BR,
Nikos
----- Original Message ----- From: "Kent Walker" <kent.wal...@jasperwireless.com>
To: "Arnar Gestsson" <arnargests...@gmail.com>
Cc: <us...@vm1.kannel.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 2010 9:57 PM
Subject: RE: SIM Data download using kannel

Hi Arnar,

It has been a few years, so my logic behind setting alt-dcs is fuzzy.
Somebody might have some more insight, but I thought that setting it to
1 indicated 8-bit binary instead of 7-bit GSM. It looks like you header
fields are correct. Have you actually generated a valid authentication
value yet that you know is correct? That was the most difficult part for
me. What I did was reversed engineered an OTA that a SIM vendor had sent
to our SMSC. Without that information, there is no way I could have
figured it all out. Remember too that the KId, KIc, TAR values and the
supported SIM toolkit commands are different for each SIM vendor and,
perhaps, each SIM profile. Your settings for Gemalto may not work for
G&D.

I do this all through kannel connected via SMPP 3.4 to our SMSC. I then
use a wget statement in my perl code to send the message to Kannel.

Kent Walker