On step 3 you don't want to do an UPDATE over your messages table,
unless you have low traffic levels.
Under high load traffic the updates will have a high cost, probably
generating locks on your DB tables and slowing things up.

It's better to insert them on a separate table.

If you don't have high traffic then it's probably not an issue.

Regards,

Juan

--
Juan Nin