Yes, I have Kannel connected to two SMSCs.

Just to ensure we are on the same page, you are saying
1) Set the get-url in sms-service group that I receive the sms' to my script
2) Leave sendsms-url unchanged as /cgi-bin/sendsms (You also say I can add the
smsc id parameter to /cgi-bin/sendsms if I so desire - will %I suffice?)

This is fine, but will Kannel automatically use the modified parameters in my
script? If I set message to "XXXX" from "YYYY" within the script, how can Kannel
know the new value? Do I need to "export" these parameters? (I am sure you know
what I mean!!)