Kannel is not a "point and click" ware. before going further take a
break, and think what you are doing.

starting up kannel with php is like trying to heat a microwave with matches.

1. PHP is a programming language that can help you to manager your
data, but it is not recommended to use PHP for starting up 'kannel',
for that are better tools, read more about:
http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html.

2. kannel is a sms gateway it receives/sends SMS, and with PHP you can
manage does messages.

Before going further, I suggest to play with a (*nix) VPS or install
this: http://www.pcbsd.org/ that could help you to understand some
more basic stuff otherwise you could end burning your full house.