Hi spameden!
Thanks for the info! that is VERY helpfull.  We've been testing a lot using the same smsc-id but we're still getting the error message at least 900 times for every 100000 DLR recieved.
The only difference now is that the message mentions type=2 instead of 1.

2013-02-04 11:92:35 [33491] [11] ERROR: SMPP[A]: got DLR but could not find message or was not interested in it id<27299> dst<20034628200743>, type<2>

We'll be testing what Alvaro suggested regarding the msg-id-type parameter in conjuntion to having the same smsc-id, which is clearly something we should be doing.

Also, we're not very sure if some routing would help or not in this case.
Thanks for all your input!!
David