by default there is no throttling (throughput variable is not set).

but there is another variable called max-pending-submits set to 10 by
default, which limits outstanding operating between SMSC and kannel to 10.

i.e. if kannel submitted 10 submit_sm (MT) he won't submit anymore he will
wait some time to get an answer (wait-ack).