We've been using kannel for a very long time, sending messages with the
default coding value of 0. We just received a complaint that underscore
characters are not appearing in messages which I believe is a known issue
with the GSM7 charset.

I am trying to understand the impact of moving from a coding value of 0 to
1. The way our platform is configured, this would be a global change for
all messages we send (our application does not know about the coding
parameter, we'd have to hard code it into the URL for all kannel requests).
Is there any risk of using coding=1 for all messages? Are there some
handsets out there that will not be able to view the messages if the coding
=1 ?

Thanks,
Jeff