BBOX is the front end of kannel towards SMSC. For incoming SMS, it accepts
and forwards them to relevant sqlbox/smsbox defined in the config. If
SMSBOX is not connected and only BBOX is up, it will receive and store the
messages in temp file/directory, and wait for smsbox to connect to it. The
errors you are seeing is because of the absence of smsbox. The messages are
safe, just connect SMSBOX and BBOX will pass them onto it.

I have run bbox many times without smsbox/sqlbox just to clear clogging on
operator side. It works pretty nice.