Hi,

I am testing a kannel installation which is supposed to send sms between a
python service and a sms aggregator. Regular SMSs work, so I replaced the
receiver with a service for testing purposes, which only logs outgoing
messages.

I am using kannel from Ubuntu repositories, version 1.4.4-5, with a generic
type smsc, directed to my dummy receiving service, with

send-url = http://proxy:9999/send?from=%P&to=&p&text=%b&message_id=%I

What happens is that I send a test message with utf-8 characters, such as
šđčćžшђчћж, and at the end I get a message "????? ?????", with all
characters replaced with question marks.

smsbox log shows a valid message, "sendsms sender:____ (<ip address>) to:
<recipient> msg:<šđčćž шђчћж>, all charactes valid and shown properly.

the matching bearerbox log entry states:
Parsing URL `http://proxy:9999/send?from=8088&to=<encoded
recipient>&text=%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F+%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F&message_id=<uuid of the
message'

The request at the proxy is, of course, equivalent to the parsed query.

What happens to UTF8 characters? I tried alt-charset on smsc, but that made
no changes at all. It seems to me that they get lost somewhere in
communication between smsbox and smsc (according to logs).

Any hints on solving this would be highly appreciated. Thank you!