On Wed, 2010-01-27 at 10:49 -0500, Kelvin Ku wrote:

> > Please post the output of:
> > $ cat /proc/interrupts | grep eth
>
> We rename our interfaces to lan:
>
> $ grep lan /proc/interrupts
>  61:          1          0          0          0   PCI-MSI-edge      lan0
>  62:    7194004          0          0          0   PCI-MSI-edge
> lan0-TxRx-0
>  63:          0          1          0          0   PCI-MSI-edge      lan1
>  64:          0          0   49842410          0   PCI-MSI-edge
> lan1-TxRx-0
>
> Note that irqbalance is disabled. I found that it wasn't balancing IRQs like
> on
> our older machines. I note that the irqbalance docs say that NIC interrupts
> should not be balanced, which is what we're seeing whether irqbalance is
> running or not.

Interrupts look OK. (You want the interrupts for each MSI queue to land
in one CPU core instead of getting bumped around.

> lan1 (multicast interface) is below. Note that rx_missed_errors is non-zero. I
> previously encountered this with the e1000e NIC after disabling cpuspeed,

I usually disable cpuspeed, but my boxes have multiple 1 and 10GbE
NICs...

> which
> was throttling the CPUs to 1.6 GHz (from a maximum of 2.4 GHz). I attempted to
> remedy this by setting InterruptThrottleRate=0,0 in the e1000e driver, after
> which we had one full day of testing with zero rx_missed_errors, but the
> application still reported packet loss.

rx_missed_error usually get triggered when the kernel is slow to handle
incoming hardware interrupts.
There's a trade-off here, increase the interrupt rate and you'll
increase the kernel CPU usage as the expense of lower latency - decrease
the interrupt rate, and you'll reduce the CPU usage at the expense of a
higher chance of hitting the RX queue limit.
I'd suggest you try setting the InterruptThrottleRate to 1000, while
increasing the RX queues to 4096.
(sbin/ethtool -G DEVICE rx 4096)

You could try enabling multi-queue by adding IntterruptType=2,
RSS=NUM_OF_QUEUE and MQ=1 to your modprobe.conf.d.

> Supermicro X8DTL-iF

We are using a similar SuperMicro board for 10GbE.

> > Have you tried enabling pci=msi in your kernel's command line?
>
> No. Do I need to do this? MSI seems to be enabled:

OK. looks OK.

> Agreed. I ran a local netperf test and was seeing about 8 Gbps of throughput
> on a single core, so this should be adequate for 1 Gbps traffic.

Can you post the output of $ mpstat -P 1 ALL during peak load?

- Gilboa