On 20. 7. 2015 at 10:12:35, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 16:02:11 +0200,
>
>   Jan Zelený <jzel...@redhat.com> wrote:
> >On 20. 7. 2015 at 08:57:41, kevin martin wrote:
> >> I'm with Jan...Thank God for yum-deprecated.  Been trying to get systemd
> >> updated with DNF forever and it's been throwing an error about
> >> fedora-release..yum-deprecated has it handled.  The whole skip-broken
> >> part
> >> of yum makes it so much easier to actually do updates.  DNF's handling of
> >> broken packages by stopping the update cold is worthless.
> >
> >Well, I can't be sure because you haven't provided any details but it
> >sounds like something --best might be able to solve for you.
>
> That doesn't really help much. It provides some data on why it isn't
> doing things that might allow you to figure out how to modify the command to
> get it to partially succeed. --allowerasing only works in some cases and I
> haven't been able to figure out which cases.
>
> For just doing updates (not installs) I found that dnf does a better job
> at figuring out what can be updated without removing anything. Yum's
> depsolver would just give up in some caes where dnf can do some updates.

That's basically what --allowerasing is about. The idea is that when you run
upgrade, you most likely don't want this upgrade to remove any of the packages
that are currently installed on your system. As the name says, the --
allowerasing switch removes this assumption, allowing the dependency solver to
have more available solutions to choose from.

Let me give you an example how can such situation occur. You install package A
which it depends on a certain capability that packages B and C provide. The
dependency solver chooses to install package C and finishes the transaction.
Then, after some time, package A gets an upgrade that requires newer version
of the aforementioned functionality. However, package C doesn't provide this
newer version. An intuitive solution is to remove package C and install
package B instead. To do that you need to use --allowerasing, as dnf doesn't
expect you by default to want a solution that includes removing currently
installed package.

Back to your original question, I am not sure what the problem is. You seem to
describe a situation where package has some broken deps and therefore can't be
installed in which case it is not going to be installed, neither by yum nor by
dnf and --skip-broken will have no effect on that. Or am I missing something?

HTH
Jan