On 10/06/2015 09:39 AM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
On 10/06/2015 05:24 AM, Robert Nichols wrote:

      ip route add to 1.1.1.1 dev enp0s25

That's all there is to it. Your system now knows that address 1.1.1.1
can be reached directly (no gateway) on that interface.

And how does that destination respond?

It's not as simple as you suggest.  The Buffalo device probably has no
(reachable) gateway, so it will only be able to route outgoing packets
of its own if the destination is within the broadcast network
corresponding to its address and netmask.

It's highly likely that it will simply use its only interface as
a default route, at least that's the way it worked for the two IP
cameras I set up that also had an initial IP address of 1.1.1.1.
Of course that's going to work only for a direct connection with
no router in the way, but that's also true for "ip addr add
1.1.1.2/24 dev eth0".

                Do NOT delete it.