After a Fedora 23 installation, users can't log in with sddm. A "login
failed" message is displayed by sddm, sometimes preceded by a short switch
to the tty and back.

Anything recorded in these users' ~/.xsession-errors ?

No. :-( Nothing at all, it's empty. (Yeah, that was the first thing I checked.) Also
"audit2allow -b" doesn't show anything related to sddm. But KDE works and
starts just fine using startx.

I've just tried Plasma 5 Wayland, but the outcome was even worse, because I
ended up with a black screen and no way to switch consoles. The log messages
are still the same, sddm-helper exits with error codes 2 or 15. Running sddm
with --test-mode doesn't work at all, it just hanges right away.

So sddm is unusable on Fedora 23. (That's odd, because it works just fine for
me on Arch.) What alternatives could I try? Is there a working display manager
compatible with KDE 5?

I got a bit closer to the root cause of the problem: SDDM works and logs me in
when I start it by simply running 'sddm' from a root shell. But it fails (with
the symptoms described in this thread) when started using systemd.

In what way can systemd be hurting sddm so that it can't log users in?

Andrej