Stephen Morris <samor...@netspace.net.au> writes:
>> As always, YMMV. I find 802.11n fine for what I need wifi for, although
>> I do have 802.11ac available as well. If I need higher speed, my house
>> is fully CAT6-ified with an Extreme Summit 400-48T 48-port switch in the
>> middle, so I can "go copper" if I need higher speed (sorta gilding the
>> lily since my Internet link is only 100Mbps upload (download is faster,
>> but I do a lot of uploading due to my job).

Thanks Rick and Steve.  I was just curious as to whether my new laptop
could get the claimed speeds over wifi.  I too have gigabit ethernet
around the house and plug into that normally.

As far as I can tell 802.11ac still has little support on open-source /
linux-based routers, so I'll hold off upgrading my router.  Besides, 'ac
probably has the same 2x overstatement of advertised speed vs actual
measured speed. ;-)

-wolfgang