On Wed, 2016-01-27 at 15:06 -0500, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> I don't think you can reserve a partition for the use of a tmpfs.

You don't.  You mount a tmpfs on top of a directory.  Once mounted, any
attempt to access that directory goes into the temporary file system
that you mounted there.  Any files that were in the directory become
inaccessible.

> If you want to use your partition as /tmp but have it cleaned out at
> boot, check the manpage for tmpfiles.d

There are some advantages to persistent /tmp files (such as if debugging
information stays in there until you've used it).  The old idea, when it
worked, was to leave files in there and delete them a few days after
they were created, or a few days since they were last read (using a cron
job, to automate that).

Though waiting for a few days of them not being read could last forever,
in some cases.  You only have to open the /tmp directory in a file
browser, and the filebrowser will look into each file to see what they
are, and that means that they've been "read".  Likewise for anything
else that scans the directory tree, and goes through /tmp.

--
tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.19.8-100.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Tue May 12 17:42:35 UTC 2015 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.