On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 1:44 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallag...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2016-01-25 at 23:54 +0100, Tom H wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 5:52 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
>> <pocallag...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I figured it out (sort of). Turns out I'm running a virtual bridge
>>> network for VirtualBox on virbr0, and it was sitting on the port for
>>> some reason. Still not sure why but when I shit down that network it
>>> all started to work.
>>
>> I'm not familiar with VirtualBox. Is virbr0 created (and used) by
>> VirtualBox? Or did you create it manually?
>
> I believe it was created by VBox.

I installed VirtualBox on two laptops (albeit running Ubuntu; I have
Fedora and Ubuntu on my laptop but I don't want to install VirtualBox
on either) and no br or tap device were created. I doubt that virbr0
would be created by VirtualBox on Fedor and not on Ubuntu.
Furthermore, I doubt that VirtualBox would name its bridge virbr0,
given that it's part of the libvirt "namespace" and that their
respective default NAT setups use different ip ranges.

>> Or do you have libvirt installed (it's the default libvirt bridge
>> name)?
>
> I do, though nothing seems to depend on it. libvirtd is running,
> presumably as part of the standard KVM system, but AFAIK that's
> independent of VBox.

If you're running libvirt, then it's providing virbr0.

Unless you've changed the default, you can confirm this with "virsh
net-dumpxml default | grep bridge".