On my Fedora 23 systems, /var/cache/PackageKit/metadata/updates/packages
is full of .rpm files.  For example, 2.7G on my desktop.

/var/cache/PackageKit/metadata/fedora/packages has some too.

"sudo dnf clean packages" doesn't seem to change this.  What does it
change?

What is the purpose of this directory of RPMs?

Why is it considered metadata?

The more obvious place would be /var/cache/PackageKit/downloads/
Why isn't this used?

Is there a way of transplanting the RPMs to another system so that
downloading could be avoided?  I have half a dozen fedora systems and
it seems a waste to download each update for each system.

What is the proper way of deleting these RPMs to free up the space?  I
ask because on some machines (but not all) the space is burdensome.