On 18 April 2016 at 03:07, Chris Murphy <li...@colorremedies.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 17, 2016 at 5:04 PM, Jon LaBadie <jo...@jgcomp.com> wrote:
> > On F22, the manpage for dnf says the update and update-to
> > commands are deprecated aliases for upgrade and upgrade-to.
> >
> > That being the case, shouldn't the update-info and
> > check-update commands also be deprecated and have
> > corresponding upgrade versions?
>
> That would be consistent. File a bug?
>
> I think the vernacular change is questionable, though. For a long time
> update means minor, and upgrade means major. And it makes it more
> confusing where upgrade vs system-upgrade. So system is what makes it
> major and not system is what makes it minor. Uhh?
>
> But I'm also too lazy to go look at the change to see what the logic
> is about. I guess from dnf's standpoint this isn't a meaningful
> distinction.
>
> For now I continue to use update.

Once upon a time obsoleting was disabled by default and update would only
do non-obsoleting packages and upgrade would include obsolete in the
dependency resolution.

The obsolete was enabled by default rendering the difference between update
and upgrade meaningless in default situations - hence the deprecation.

Honestly I'm surprised both were carried forward to dnf rather than the
deprecated command being dropped at the yum -> dnf boundary.