On 05/08/2016 05:36 PM, Stephen Morris wrote:
     I am currently using Firefox 49.0a1 on both Linux and Windows and
on both systems Firefox will not activate Java, this has been the case
for several versions of Firefox. I have to java plugin in the
appropriate mozilla directories, but Firefox will still not use it. I
have also checked about:config and there appears to be no java entries
in there whatsoever.

     Does anyone know any way to activate Java in these versions of
Firefox?

You shouldn't have to do any manual linking or copying. Install the icedtea-web package and it should just work. I've been using it for a long time.