Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>> Some web sites are broken. They may be too lazy to make sure their
>> interface is usable to work without javascipt ... Or they may want to
>> force you to use it, to facilitate doing things you'd rather they
>> didn't

jd1008:
> In addition to allowing the gmx.com javascript,
> you have to also allow these javascripts:
>
> indexww.com
> openx.net
> googlesyndication.com
> uicdn.com
> exponential.cm
> googletagmanager.com
> googletagservices.com
>
> In other words, this is all malware they are pushing into your browser
> which blithely executes them and damn the torpedoes.

While I can't comment on whether they're malware, we're going to
continue to see more and more of this thing, as various turn-key web
solutions (internet shop fronts that are being put on-line by some
computer nerd, instead of the business paying for someone to create a
decent on-line service), become less self-contained, and rely on
external services to do their tricks.  I particularly notice that with
the various googletag domains - how you can't select things, nor see
prices, on shopping sites without enabling it.

And if you go to news sites, there's a mass of external services that
want to be allowed, because the page has incorporated external content
from twitter (& other social media), instead of quoting from it.  You
also find that those pages rapidly become stale, because the
incorporated content disappears on them.

I use two add-ons with Firefox, as my defaults for all installations,
the FlashBlock and NoScript ones.  They do take care of most annoyances,
until you come across a page where you have to experiment with which of
more than a dozen external services need allowing before the page works.
And it often requires reloads for another half-dozen *new* services to
be contemplated as they get dragged in by the content you'd just allowed
moments ago.

Quite apart from the nuisance factor on you, it is a disaster waiting to
happen to the websites.  People keep discovering cross-site exploits,
and if your website relies on a plethora of external services to run,
you've exposed yourself to an extra onslaught of exploit vectors.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is
no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see the messages

Windows, it's enough to make a grown man cry!