Allegedly, on or about 10 May 2016, Patrick O'Callaghan sent:
> Much more important is to keep tight control of logins
> from outside your network. Only allow SSH, don't allow it to the root
> account, only allow it using token (not password) access, and run
> fail2ban.

If you run externally accessible mail services, then you should disallow
plaintext authentication.  That will stop mail clients from transmitting
the user's password in the clear.  Likewise if there are web server
pages that require a login (ensure it's only allowed through an
encrypted connection).

You should probably disallow it even for internal services, there could
be something snooping on traffic elsewhere on your net.  While some will
say the war is already lost if they're doing that, I tend to feel that
you're checkmating them if they can't get anything useful.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is
no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see the messages

When it comes to electronics, I'm slightly biased.