On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 10:43 AM, Matthew Saltzman <m...@clemson.edu> wrote:

Apparently, the latest release of Bumblebee has dropped support for the
> nouveau driver. Installing the latest primus package from the bumblebee
> repo requires removing bumblebee-nouveau and installing bumblebee-
> nvidia. I haven't seen an announcement to that effect, but there is a
> bug report at the Bumblebee repo suggesting that that's the direction
> they are going.
>
> Is there a good, up to date summary of the state of Optimus support for
> Linux and Fedora, both open-source and proprietary?  Anyone have in-
> depth experience with Dell (Latitude E6430) implementation and a
> recommendation for the best way to proceed?

I have one of the macbook pro systems with a failed (months after the
warranty
expired) systemboard that can't use optimus.   I have to start X manually
to avoid endless crash and reboot loops when an update enables optimus.
The internet is sadly lacking in the sort of technical details needed to
come up with a robust configuration that doesn't get trashed by updates.

> One point in particular: I have a docking station, but I've never been
> able to get video out when docked. Has anyone succeeded in getting that
> working?

Which video out in which "docking station"?  We have various Dell Latitude
E6X30 models (but without NVIDIA discrete graphics) and  PRO3X docking
stations that have 3 output connectors DisplayPort, DVI, VGA), but even on
Windows,
only the VGA and DVI ever worked, and DVI was problematic.  I assumed
the DIsplayPort requires the discrete graphics, but Dell SLN115952 indicates
that the DVI port on a "E-port Plus Port Replicator" (VGA, two DVI and two
DIsplayPort
connectors) can be used with Intel HD graphics.

--
George N. White III <aa...@chebucto.ns.ca>
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia